If you’re in the process of buying a home in the Atlanta area, this home inspection checklist will help you understand what a home inspector is looking for during an inspection.
I’ve included some of the basic things we look at while inspecting a property. As you walk through a home you’re considering purchasing, use this home inspection checklist as a guide.
- Attic: Adequate ventilation, water leaks from roof.
- Basement: Water leakage, musty smell.
- Ceilings, walls, and moldings: Loose pieces, drywall that is pulling away
- Doors and Windows: Loose or tight fits, condition of locks, condition of weather-stripping
- Driveways/Sidewalks: Cracks, heaving pavement, crumbling near edges, stains
- Electrical: Condition of fuse box/circuit breakers, number of outlets in each room.
- Exterior Brick: Cracked bricks or mortar pulling away from bricks
- Foundations: Cracks or water seepage
- Furnace/Air Conditioning: Look for age, energy rating; Furnaces are rated by annual fuel utilization efficiency; the higher the rating, the lower your fuel costs.
- Garage: Exterior in good repair; condition of floor—cracks, stains, etc.; condition of door mechanism.
- Insulation: Adequate rating for the climate
- Plumbing: Poor water pressure, banging pipes, rust spots or corrosion that indicate leaks, sufficient insulation.
- Porch/Deck: Loose railings or step, rot.
- Roof: Age, conditions of flashing, pooling water, buckled shingles, or loose gutters and downspouts
- Siding: Dents or buckling
- Water Heater: Look for age, size adequate for house, speed of recovery, energy rating.
*Please note: Using a checklist is never a suggestion for you NOT to hire an experienced home inspector. When making an investment of this size, you should always hire a licensed and professional home inspector to conduct the property inspection.
At Inspection Analytics, we make it our goal to provide every client with the most comprehensive and valuable home inspection service. We’re known for our thoroughness, integrity and superior customer service. We offer a detailed inspection report and home advice for life.